Hi. My name is Heather Peterson. I am a twenty-eight-year-old mother of two with one more on the way. Although we are not wealthy, my kids have a pretty good life. They have a roof over their heads and comfortable beds to sleep in. Most days they get to choose what they want to eat for lunch. They have their own bicycles that are the right size for their little legs and they both have had more toys given to them by the time they were one than I had my entire childhood.
Sometimes I enjoy being able to give my kids the things they want, at other times I view my ability to accommodate their whims as a curse. There is a lot to be learned from having very little.
When I was a kid, my parents never owned a home. I spent my childhood living in rental houses, a cabin, tents... a barn. We wore hand-me-downs, drove an ancient truck, ate very bland and boring food and never seemed to have extra money. Through it all I was happy and I knew I was loved. I also developed a sense for what was important in life and what was not.
As we move forward in these uncertain times, I feel I have a lot to teach my children. I plan to record as many meaningful experiences from my childhood as is possible with my current work schedule. Anyone is welcome to read and comment, though it is my children that are on my mind as I write down these events.
No comments:
Post a Comment